Dunbar Town House
The Dunbar Town House is a 17th Century Tolbooth built in the centre of this historic fishing town.
Built in 1620, although timber used has been dated as 1550 which has questioned if The Tolbooth is older? All Scottish Tolbooths were used as the local council office, courthouse and jail and Dunbar’s is no different.In fact, it was where you would have found the stocks and the gallows for the local criminals to be punished. The building would have been standing during Oliver Cromwell’s raid into Scotland when he stayed in Dunbar.
During the 17th Century, The Tolbooth was the centre of The Witch Trails which seen hundreds of so-called witches tortured and put to death and it’s within the upper floors of The Town House that a number of witches were put to trail. The Provosts would have ordered witchpricking and other torture methods by The Witch Finders before they were sentenced to death further down the road at the green.
This fantastic Grade 1 listed building still has some of its original features including the council chamber on the top floor with a wood panel dating back to the 17th century. 2 prison cells have been modernised but still have the heavy doors in place. Original vandalism can be found, which was engraved centuries ago in one of the cells fireplaces and the fantastic stone spiral staircase is still accessible.
The Town House has been lovely restored and is now used as a museum and community centre by the local authorities and GHOSTnortheast are lucky enough to be the first to investigate this building with a fantastic history spanning over 400 years as we go “In Search of Witches!”