THE TYNESIDE CINEMA
The Cinema is built on the corner of Pilgrim Street and High Friars which was the location of a monastery Franciscan Monks or ‘Grey Friars’ dating back to 1267. The monastery is reported to have burnt to ground with Monks still in the building. In 1580 The Newe House was built as a grand mansion, it later was used a jail and housed King Charles I for 10 months before his execution in 1647 during The English Civil War. The modern Newe House was erected in the early nineteen hundreds and it was in 1937 Dixon Scott (Great Uncle to Ridley and Tony Scott) opened it as Newcastle's News Theatre.
News Theatres were extremely popular at this time before TV for a way for people to view the news from around the world as radio and newspapers were the only other media. Sadly, Dixon died in 1939, only 2 years after it's opening. The Theatre was then ran by his wife and sons.
With the invention of Television and the introduction of sets into the home, Newsreel Theatre customers declined and in 1968 The Newcastle News Theatre closed it's doors for the last time.
The British Film Institute took control of the building and opened The Tyneside Cinema. Over the past 40 years the cinema has seen many changes however the structure and the fabric of the building still remain the same with some of the finest examples of Art Deco and The Classic screen still boasting it's raising curtain at the start of every feature film.
With the extremely hard work of everyone involved this Grade 2 listed building that is recognised as the last newsreel theatre in the country is now a must visit venue day and night.
Reports of Monks and the sounds of chanting in the lower levels of the building. Apparations have been seen in the office area and sighted on the stage area. Lights turning themselves off and on have led to numberous reports of paranormal activity within the location.
Join GHOSTnortheast as they exclusively investiagte one of Newcastle's most pestiges locations to see if we can find what still roams around The Tyneside!